Level-D Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Level-D General User Forums > Screenshot Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to Capture, Improve & Upload Images

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EC01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Capture, Improve & Upload Images
    Posted: 01-14-2008 at 2:29pm
As requested, here is a tutorial of how to shoot, upload and improve your screenshots.

A) How to shoot your screenshots:

1. First, we must download some software that allows us to take the screenshots in the Flight Simulator. 

Screenhunter:

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

or

GrabClipSave:

http://www.simviation.com/fsdtutscreensh.htm

OR, you can use Microsoft's built in screen capture key 'V' to take your screenshots.

B) How to Upload your screenshots:

2. Once your shots are taken with any of the above methods, you must upload them to an image hosting website:

http://www.photobucket.com/

&

http://www.imageshack.us/

Both photobucket and imageshack are widely used.  Registration is required (free).

a) Photobucket:

Once your have registered, click on the 'My Album' page and you will be given the option to create a new album and upload pictures.  Click on the browse button and search for your screenshot that you have taken in the simulator.  If you wish to add more than one screenshot, then you can, by selecting the add more icon.

Photobucket allows one user to upload no more than 20 photos at one time. 

Once you are satisfied with that screenshots you have selected to host, click the UPLOAD button. 

Once all screenshots have uploaded and we scroll down a little we notice the following under each picture:

Now, if we highlight the Img URL line and right click > copy, then we copy our image into a post.  The same routine goes for any picture.  It's as simple as that.

C) How to improve your screenshots:

To add simple edits to my screenshots, I use the irfanview.  It
is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer.

Irfanview can be found and downloaded from here.....

http://www.irfanview.com/

Once your screenshots are taken and saved to a folder of your choice, open irfanview and click open.  Browse to the shot you wish to edit and we'll start from there.

1) Re-sizeing.  The Level D Screenshot forum rules state that your shots should be no larger than 1024 pixels wide by 768 pixels in length.  Therefore to re-size to that restriction we go Image>Resize/Re sample.  Put a bullet against the 1024x768 option and then click OK.  Your image is resized but nowhere near finished yet!

2) Sharpen.  To apply added sharpness to your image go Image>Sharpen.  You will notice a difference to your screenshot.  However, if the difference is not adequate enough for your liking, simply repeat the procedure OR go  Image>Effects>Effects Browser. From here you can adjust the sharpening levels in more detail.

Once you are satisfied, go File>Save as.  Remember to save your screenshot in JPEG format as you will get better results.

I hope I helped you out!

C) Imageshack

Here is the process for uploading screenshots to imageshack.  Once again, you must register but it is free to do so.

As you can see, there is a browse button here to, to search for your shots to upload in your documents.  Once safistied with what you are about to upload, you are presented with the following:

Here we have many options, but I use the second one - Thumbnails for Forums 1

If we highlight and copy this URL, we have the following result:

If we click this thumbnail, then we get a full screen view of the screenshot.

EC01

DShutt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Support & Documentation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DShutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-14-2008 at 3:30pm
GOLD STAR for Mike! We're pinning this baby!
EC01 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EC01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-14-2008 at 3:32pm
Big%20smileBig%20smile

Thanks.
indyrocks View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indyrocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-17-2008 at 10:13pm

With all due respect to EC01, I've got to say that the Uploading section above is more complicated than it needs to be. I have posted many screenshots to this forum, as well as others, and I have never used any of the programs that are mentioned. Instead, I only use the small accessory program called Paint that comes with virtually all versions of Windows. This one small program has everything you need to prepare pictures to upload.

Let's assume you've hit V to capture a screenshot to the default folder for Flight Simulator. In Vista, that would be something like C:\Users\<Your Name>\Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files; XP uses a similar folder name. These files have awkward names that include the time and date when they were captured, and they are also bitmapped images. My sample file for this discussion is 2008-11-17_15-35-13-46.BMP. It is easiest to do the image preparation before you start your forum entry, although that's not absolutely required.

1. First, we open our file in Paint. 
     Method 1: Right-click on the file, select Open With... from the menu, and select Paint from the list of available programs. 

Method 2: Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint to open the Paint program. Once Paint is running, click on File > Open, select the folder, and then the image file.

2. The file type must be changed, since this forum only accepts .JPEG/.JPG, .GIF, and .PNG. Of these, .JPEG/.JPG creates the smallest file with no loss of detail, so we'll use it. Also, we can select a simpler file name -- let's use SAMPLE. To accomplish both goals, select File > Save As..., then type SAMPLE in the top line of the box, and select JPEG on the second line. Click on Save, and you've just created a file containing your original screenshot that is much smaller (usually less than 4% of the original .BMP file's size).

3. Next, you'll probably want to work on the image a bit. If nothing else, its screen size needs to be reduced. To see the details of your file, click on Image > Attributes.... If it isn't already selected, make sure Pixels is selected as the Unit. To fit on the screens of most users, the image width should be less than 640 pixels. To maintain the image's aspect ratio, the height must be reduced by the same ratio. Let's say the Attributes box shows your image is currently 1280 pixels wide by 1024 pixels high. We're going to reduce the image to 40% of its current size (512 410 pixels). Go to Image > Resize/Skew...  and type 40 in both the Horizontal and Vertical Resize boxes, then click on OK. You'll see the image reduce to 40% of its original size. Click on Save.

4. Paint allows a variety of other image modifications -- adding a colored circle or rectangle around an object, adding text, cropping the picture, etc.  All of this can be done within Paint very easily. Just remember to save the file when you're done.

5. Now let's say you're typing your comment into the forum's Quick Reply box and you reach the point where you want to insert the SAMPLE.JPG picture. Let's say I want it right here, centered on the page ...

To place an image like the preceding, just click on the Insert Image button, then click on the Browse... button. Navigate to the folder containing SAMPLE.JPG, then click on Upload. A short warning box pops up and can be ignored. When the picture appears, the uploading process is done and you'll be returned to the forum comment you're typing. To center the image, click on it and then select the Center Justify button.

6. Finish your comment as you normally would, then click on Post Reply. The uploading process can be repeated if you want more than one picture in your entry.

debel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-02-2009 at 4:51pm
I have easy way to create screenshot and upload in internet - here
jimjdunn View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimjdunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-10-2009 at 11:29am

Hi

I am new and every tme I try to get into the forum it tell s me I cannot enter. After about an hour I finally got into this page. Any way can you help or point me in the right direction.  I have just download the 767 and would like to include a British Airways Livery.  Two things where can I find it and how do I add to FSXusing Vista.  Cheers

Jimmy
masefield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masefield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-30-2009 at 3:23pm
Thanks.LOL
papkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-25-2009 at 11:29am
nice
incerojohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote incerojohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-17-2009 at 1:54pm
you know, it's a whole lot simpler just to use http://www.uploadscreenshot.com.

all you have to do is printscreen (or alt-printscreen for just one window) and the screenshot will be copied to your clipboard.

then you just gotta hit paste on the site, and it'll upload the screenshot for you and give you a page with html and bbcode.

give it a shot... much easier than this procedure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic